top of page

Ulyanovsk State Technical University

12- Ulyanovsk State Technical University (UlSTU)

Former names : Ulyanovsk State Technical University

Type : Public university

Established : 1957

Ulyanovsk State Technical University (full name is the federal state budgetary educational institution of higher education “Ulyanovsk State Technical University”, also known as UlSTU, the unofficial name is Polytechnic University) - the higher educational institution located in Ulyanovsk is the largest university in the Ulyanovsk region and one of the leading scientific Volga centers. (until 1994 it was called the Polytechnic Institute, founded in 1957). The number of students is more than 12,000 people. Training is conducted in 52 departments, in 48 specialties and 33 areas. Ulyanovsk State Technical University (Russian: Ульяновский государственный технический университет, abbreviated as UlSTU) is a major higher education and research institution in Ulyanovsk. Founded in 1957 as Ulyanovsk Polytech University, the university is located in the Volga River region. Ulyanovsk State Technical University (UlSTU) is one of the leading science centers of the Volga region that trains specialists in various areas, including economy, humanities, technical sciences etc. The University is well known in Russia for its research-anddevelopment activities; graduates of UlSTU are employed by a large variety of companies. Today Ulyanovsk State Technical University features over 14000 students on different education programs at 10 faculties and 48 departments; more than 500 tutors, 42 Ph.D professors and 250 Ph.D associate professors; about 1000 PCs connected to the Internet and 54 media libraries; the library which is the largest in the city and contains about 1200000 books, magazines, e-books, video materials and other resources; scientific and research works and papers awarded in Paris, Brussels etc.; one of the biggest concert halls in the Middle Volga region. The University maintains firm contacts with more than 60 state, public and educational organizations of many countries: universities, research centers, foundations. UlSTU closely cooperates with such educational and scientific centers as Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences, Germany; Durham University, Great Britain; University of Göttingen, Germany. Sporting facilities, a calendar of social events and a reputation for teaching makes UlSTU a place to study. Students from Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Germany, China, Vietnam, Turkey, Ghana, Cameroon, and Nigeria successfully study at the University.

History

In connection with the multiple increase in industrial and technical potential in the city of Ulyanovsk, which was preceded by the evacuation of a number of large industrial enterprises from the western and central regions of the country, cities that were threatened by the Nazi occupation during the Great Patriotic War, there was an urgent need to organize the training of engineering personnel in the city of Ulyanovsk. Therefore, the regional leadership petitioned the central governing bodies to open a higher technical educational institution in the city. This request was granted, and in 1956 the evening faculty of the Kuibyshev Industrial Institute was opened in Ulyanovsk. By a resolution of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR of September 6, 1957, the faculty was transformed into an evening polytechnic institute. By order of the Ministry of Higher Education of the USSR of September 18, 1957, the structure of the institute was determined by three evening faculties: mechanical with specialties "Engineering Technology", "Metal-cutting machines and tools"; energy with a specialty "Electrification of industrial enterprises and installations"; construction with a specialty "Industrial and civil engineering" and the correspondence faculty with specialties "Engineering" and "Instrument-making". By the same order it was planned to create six departments: Marxism-Leninism, higher mathematics and theoretical mechanics, descriptive geometry and drawing, physics and chemistry, foreign languages, electrical engineering and open a library. In the first academic year, 699 students studied at the institute, including 431 in the evening department and 268 in the correspondence department. The following year, students were admitted in two other specialties: "Aviation Instrumentation", "Design and Production Technology of Radio Equipment". The first students of the institute were young workers and employees with secondary education. They were on the job upgrading their skills, gaining the theoretical knowledge necessary for mastering the complex technology of modern production. Initially, classes at the institute had to be carried out in difficult conditions: in a poorly adapted small building in the Zasviyazhsky district of the city. Almost completely lacked the necessary educational equipment and instruments, educational and scientific literature. The library of the institute then had less than one and a half thousand copies of books. There were certain difficulties in the formation of the scientific and pedagogical team. The first director of the institute was Associate Professor, Candidate of Technical Sciences I. I. Shabanov, and the first deans were A. V. Babushkin, A. I. Vasin and A. A. Serov. In 1958, L.V. Khudobin was appointed deputy director of the university, who became a famous teacher and prominent scientist, doctor of technical sciences, professor, honored worker of science and technology. A large role in the organization and development of the university was played by A.M. Altukhov, who was appointed its rector in 1960. All of them stood at the origins of the university. Thanks to their efforts, already in 1959, the student body totaled 1315 people. The material base has expanded due to the building located on the street. Engels, 27. The engineering department is currently located at this address. An important event that determined the further development of the institute was the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR of July 12, 1962 and in accordance with it the Decree of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR of July 30, 1962 on the organization of the Ulyanovsk Polytechnic Institute with full-time education. At the same time, evening and distance learning remained in it. In accordance with the Decree, mechanical and radio engineering faculties were organized in full-time studies and 21 departments were created. Here, at the beginning of 1963, 108 full-time teachers, including 32 candidates of sciences, already worked; associate professors. At this time, about 2.4 thousand students studied at the university. Work with correspondence students was improved, and in order to improve the educational and methodological work with them in 1962, a training and consulting center was opened in Dimitrovgrad (Melekess). In 1975, the construction of the educational building of the institute began in the northern part of the city. By order of the State Committee for Higher Education of the Russian Federation No. 524 of May 26, 1994, the Ulyanovsk Polytechnic Institute was transformed into the Ulyanovsk State.

Faculties

  • Faculty of Mechanical Engineering

  • Faculty of Information Systems and Technologies

  • Faculty of Radio Engineering

  • Faculty of Energy

  • Faculty of Civil Engineering

  • Faculty of Engineering and Economics

  • Faculty of Humanities

  • Faculty of correspondence

  • Institute of Aviation Technologies and Management (as a faculty)

  • Faculty of Professional Training and Continuing Education

Additional units

  • Institute of Distance and Continuing Education;

  • College of Economics and Computer Science (CEI);

  • Barysh College (Branch in Barysh, Ulyanovsk Region);

bottom of page